Saturday, June 6, 2009

3 cards from Germany

Last week brought me 3 beautiful multiview cards from Germany. They all came via different tags or robins from postcrossing.com.

Isabel sent me "Magdeburg an der Elbe" card, written in Spanish. It was a part of the Other languages RR, where you have to request a language other than English. Of course, I asked for Spanish! I am expecting a few more cards through that RR.
The card is very beautiful with amazing sites. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they are as there is no discriptions. I assume that the statue is of Martin Luther as he preached in Magdeburg calling for Reformation. I also found out that town was founded in 805! So old! Emperor Otto I, the first Holy Roman Emperor, lived during most of his reign in the town and was buried in the Magdeburg cathedral after his death. Magdeburg was one of the most important town in the Medieval Europe. If you know what else is on the postcard, please, leave me a comment! I would really appreciate it!

Through Europe-USA tag, I got this Nuremberg (Nürnberg in german) card from Morgaine. It is a multiview as well but they all are labeled. The only thing I have ever heard about this town was the Nuremberg Trials. It is so interesting to see all the historical places. Schöner Brunnen (Beautiful Fountain) and the church of Our Lady in the upper center must be breathtaking! As is St Lorenz-Kirche in the bottom left. The Fountain was so old and special that the original was placed in the German National Museum.


Gina sent me this card through the Hometown RR. She was very kind and gave me a short history of Chemnitz as well. This town is located in Eastern Germany, close to Czech border and, I thought, the name of it doesn't sound very German. Wikipedia: An early Slavic tribe's settlement was located at Kamienica ("stony brook"), and the first documented use of Chemnitz was the 1143 site of a Benedictine monastery, around which a settlement grew. In medieval times, Chemnitz became a centre of textile production and trade. More than one third of the population worked in textile production. By the early 19th century Chemnitz had become an industrial centre. Now, the population is 245, ooo. From 1953 until 1990, Chemnitz was named Karl-Marx-Stadt ( I admit, I heard that name before :)

No comments:

Post a Comment